Monday, February 06, 2006

Project CAM4gery Pt 1

The first step to turning a completely disassembled lower into a functioning weapon is studying. I'd never done this type of thing before, but I don't lack the necessary proficiency to get it done. So I hit the books. Figuratively, of course. What I really did was hit the 'net.

First stop, ARFCOM. is an invaluable resource to those building their first or twentieth AR series weapons. The tutorials are top-notch, easy to follow and understand, and are illustrated sufficiently well as to allow a technical novice like me to have no problems. The guide for putting an AR lower is found here.

"So this is how the pro's do it?" Ok, I was game. Friday night 10pm, I just stood in line for 2 hours at UPS will-call to pick up my package containing my upper assembly, and my eyes are getting blurry. Perfect time to build a gun!

First things first - parts inventory. Nothing like getting to the end and discovering your selector detent never shipped...

Figured I'd lay it out just like the diagram, just to make sure I did it correctly.

I also consulted this thread at ARFCOM. It's detailed pictures and easy instructions had me flying thru in no time. Note the laptop in the background - invaluable asset on a build like this.

The only problem I ran into on the whole build was with the bolt release pin. Little sonofabitch didn't want to get in there! I had purchased a set of punches from Bushmaster, but they weren't doing the trick, so I tried the vice-grip thing and that did it. It did it at the expense of the finish on the lower. I taped the jaws of the 'grips, but there must have been a sharp edge in there somewhere, because I marred the finish somethin' awful. I don't have a macro function on my camera (damn 2004 technology!) so the pic I took of the damage didn't come out well. You'll just have to take my word for it.

An hour and a half later, I had the complete lower assembled.