Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Happy Thanksgiving

Posting will likely be light around here for the next couple days. I may set some posts to automatically upload at strategic times, just to throw you off, but otherwise it will be quiet.

I am making the whole meal for my family this year. Last year, I complained about my grandma's prune/sausage/mandarin orange stuffing, so they decided to stick it to me this year. Now, that stuffing was absolutely disgusting, so I was in the right, and their punishment? Please.

This is the best thing that could have happened. One - I like to cook and I'm good at it. Two - now I get to make sure everything is exactly the way I like it. The potatoes will be lumpy and slightly garlic-y. The stuffing won't be from a box - I'm going with Steve H's cornbread stuffing recipe for mine. The turkey will not be fried or BBq'd this year - it will be roasted, like it used to be, before everyone started reading Better Homes and Garden Gnomes or whatever it is. The cranberry sauce will be made from scratch. The gravy will be from scratch, not a jar like last year. *shudder*

So long story short, while I may have some work cut out for me tonight and tomorrow, it's for the best. We'll see if I can start some traditional food revival amongst the old folks.

You know it gets bad when the 22 year old knows the old family recipes for salsibury steak and meat pie better than the old timers. They're the ones trying to emulate that Emeril douchebag. "BAM" this, fella.