Monday, November 21, 2005

My Ammo Day

I didn't make it to the local Wally World on time to participate in the 1:30p prank, but I did get there. After making my huge Midway purchase, I didn't really need anything, but I wanted to participate nonetheless.

First stop was the DVD section, to find something to shock the clerk. Lo and behold - no Red Dawn. I didn't know what to do. What else would have been that perfect?

Well, instead I picked up a trio of zombie movies - Dawn of the Dead original, Dawn of the Dead remake and 28 Days Later. I already had the remake, but it rounded out the trio and I needed the widescreen version for my new TV anyway.

So I sauntered back to the sporting good section to find some other people there doing the ammo day thing, but no salesperson. When one finally materialized - a psuedoGoth chick with piercings and long black sleeves under the WalMart frock - I was last in a short line. The guy in front bought out the CCI Greentag. The next guy bought all the Stingers and a 100rd pack of 12ga. Next guy bought 2 100rd boxes of 12ga. I get up to the counter, look down into the shelves behind and behold a wonderful sight. It's as though they KNEW it was Ammo Day! Stacks and towers of whitebox ammo I couldn't even see over! On sale! Whee!

"I'll take 3 of the .45's and 3 of the .40's. Better give me one of those 12ga boxes too."

She brings it to the counter and started ringing me up. From behind my back I pull my DVD selections and plunk them down on top of the pile of ammo.

She looks at them. Looks at me. Looks back at the movies and ammo. Looks at me again.

"Just in case," I said. "I'm only so convinced it won't happen."

She starts cracking up.

That was my ammo day.