Thursday, October 20, 2005

Two Days Before the Day After Tomorrow

South Park skewers Katrina Coverage

I watched the new episode of South Park last night and was all ready to do a big write up about it, but instead I'm going to suggest you check out this post. Because it's better. It has the video!!

The episode just destroyed the MSM's coverage of Hurricane Katrina and many of the reactions by both the right and left.

Mitch, the reporter: “Tom, I’m currently ten miles outside of Beaverton, unable to get inside the town proper. We do not have any reports of fatalities yet, but we believe that the death toll may be in the hundreds of millions. Beaverton has only a population of about 8,000, Tom, so this would be quite devastating.”

Tom: “Any word on how the survivors in the town are doing, Mitch?”

Mitch: “We’re not sure what’s exactly is going on inside the town of Beaverton, Tom, but we’re reporting that there’s looting, raping and, yes, even acts of cannibalism.”

Tom: “My God, you’ve actually seen people looting, raping and eating each other?!”

Mitch: “No, no we’ve haven’t actually seen it, Tom. We’re just reporting it.”

It also lampooned the reactions of FEMA by juxtaposing the situation with the situation in The Day After Tomorrow, where the government basically abandoned the country. It also took aim at The Day After Tomorrow as sensationalist crap - it was - and the self-loathing attitudes that the town took after the disaster. When Randy Marsh goes to save Stan wearing artic gear on a sunny day to combat perceived global freezing..."I feel warm. Its the sign of the final stages of hypothermia! We're gonna die!"

The episode also wonders where personal responsibility is in situations like Katrina.
"It was my fault. I drove a boat into the beaver dam," says Stan. "It wasn't global warming."
"It was my fault," said Idiot #1.
"It was my fault," said Idiot #2.
"It was my fault," said Cartman. You get the point.

I laughed my ass off. It was great stuff. "I know you have Jew gold, Kyle! You have it in a little bag around your neck...now GIVE IT TO ME!" Cartman cracks me up...