Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Quote of the Day

Florence King

When they came for the smokers I kept silent because I don't smoke.
When they came for the meat eaters I kept silent because I'm a vegetarian.
When they came for the gun owners I kept silent because I'm a pacifist.
When they came for the drivers I kept silent because I'm a cyclist.

They never did come for me. I'm still here because there's nobody left in the secret police except sissies with rickets.

Still one of my favorites years after first seeing it.

One of my other favorites is "Golf is an exercise in Scottish pointlessness for people who are no longer able to throw telephone poles at each other." As a golfer, I know this to be partly true. Golf is the game of Sunday mornings when we are too tired from Friday and Saturday nights to do anything else.