Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Illegal Immigration Crackdown?

"Our goal at DHS (Homeland Security) is to completely eliminate the 'catch and release' enforcement problem, and return every single illegal entrant, no exceptions.

"It should be possible to achieve significant and measurable progress to this end in less than a year," Chertoff told a Senate hearing.

I must still be drunk...did I read the article correctly?
"Mexicans who are caught entering the United States illegally are returned immediately to Mexico. But other parts of the system have nearly collapsed under the weight of numbers. The problem is especially severe for non-Mexicans apprehended at the southwest border," Chertoff explained.
That'd be nice if it were true, but most are released to await immigration hearings, of which only a tiny percent actually appear at.

via Breitbart

At least they're starting to talk a decent game. I'd love to see the actions catch up.

More

The punchline. Well, that didn't take long.
"As we improve and expand our efforts to secure our borders, we must also recognize that that enforcement cannot work unless it is part of a larger comprehensive immigration reform program," Bush said. "If an employer has a job that no American is willing to take, we need to find a way to fill that demand by matching willing employers with willing workers from foreign countries on a temporary and legal basis."[emphasis mine]
I was watching that show on TLC about crap jobs and the people who do them. The guy who sucks the stuff out of septic tanks liked his job. American people like to work. Making this argument that illegals fill a niche citizens refuse to fill is a little reminiscent of that racist windbag Vincente Fox, claiming Mexican illegals took jobs even blacks wouldn't take.

I don't have a problem with immigration as long as it is legal and documented. I am a recent descendant of immigrants myself and I have seen firsthand how a new life can be created in America. In this case, though, Bush's plan is further complicating what the DHS is trying to do.

I'm going to wait a bit. My kneejerk reaction is to lash out but this time I'm going to bite my lip. Even if it bleeds.