Thursday, July 07, 2005

Religion of Pieces

I have been working my ass off this morning and my co-workers are out sick, so I have not had a chance to comment on this mornings terror attacks in London.

Where do I begin...

First, I must echo the sentiments of many other bloggers today when I say that, today, we are all Britons. Just as the UK stood beside the US on 9/11, we will stand solidly by the UK on 7/7.

Second, as much as I hate to say it, the attacks this morning came as a very small surprise. Unfortunately for our friends and allies in the EU, their cavalier attitude toward militant Islamism is beginning to violently boil. This has been an ongoing problem throughout Europe, notably including the Madrid bombings and the murder of Theo van Gogh. The lax immigration system and legal system are allowing fundamentalists to trickle into the country, where they can stage this type of attack.

Third, I must say that the continued targeting of commuters and working people is going to violently backfire on the Muslim extremists. While they continue to wreak havoc on our transport, public resolve is being tempered. Instead of collapsing, as they must think we will do, the global community will eventually - they MUST eventually - rear back and eliminate this threat. The breaking point is nearing.

Finally, my heart and prayers go out to the families of the affected people today. I can only thank god that more people were not killed and injured. I've been aboard one of London's huge double-decker commuter buses at rush hour, and the fact that all 90 people, like those that were crammed aboard mine, were not killed is a miracle.

We can also partly thank incompetent terrorists for a relatively low death toll. 5/12 of the total expolsive devices did not detonate by latest reports.


Hang in there, Britain.