Saturday, December 31, 2005

Build List

So, like I said, I am going to be building an evil yet CA legal black rifle.

First thing I'm going to need is a lower receiver. I need a Stag Arms, Lewis Machine and Tool or Doublestar lower. The reason for these particular brands are enumerated here.

After I take possession of the receiver, it needs to be neutered. One of these should do the trick.


Then I wait. I wait until CA updates the banned list and hope the receiver gets listed. Thats why I want one of those brand receivers - they are currently technically legal, and are sure to make the list on the next go round.

Sounds weird, doesn't it? Buy a receiver with the hope that it gets banned. But then I get grandfathered in, have 90 days to register it as an evil "assault weapon," and I can do whatever I want to it. Collapsible stocks, pistol grips, etc. - features normally prohibited - are now available for 'lil ol' me.

Then I have a laundry list of parts I need to aqcuire after that. A complete RIS upper, preferably LMT. I don't want to have to build the upper, too. A control parts kit. Maybe a Wilson or comparable match trigger. I already have a couple of nice sights I can use. A Surefire M900. Magpul MIAD grip. Maybe one of those nifty Magpul stocks. About 9 mags with Magpul self-leveling followers and Ranger plates. And that should just about do it.

Am I missing anything critical? I have no idea. I haven't studied the schematics on the AR extensively, nor have I built one before. I haven't committed that much knowledge to memory because, frankly, if I don't get the lower on time, it won't matter.

Anyway, no more will I shiver in the cold of an AR-less winter...