Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Day 1367

I think I have finally managed to do it.

I managed to get a gun to go off when I didn't want it to.

Fear me. I am the Gun Lord. Er, something like that.

My dad had a gun, a little pocket pistol, that for years boggled me. I couldn't figure out what it was. He found it last weekend and gave it to me.

I now own a Davis Industries .32.

I wish I didn't.

Anyway, thats not the point. The gun is mechanically unsound. The firing pin was broken and the frame rails are worn nearly smooth. This I discovered during initial disassembly.

The firing pin/striker had been removed and reinstalled backwards. This caused the tip of it to protrude thru the hole, into the chamber at all times, even when the gun should have been out of battery. Can you see where this is going?

Which brings me to how I made the gun fire on it's own.

It wasn't therapy. I tried that.

It wasn't coercion. I tried that before.

It was physics.

I loaded the magazine with 6 little .32's and inserted it into the magwell. With the gun pointed down range and my finger off the trigger, I racked the slide back and let it fall forward.

All hell broke loose.

And by "all hell" I mean there were 6 little pops accompanied by light recoils and 6 little brass cases in the air. The position of the striker meant that, when I dropped the slide, it rushed forward, chambering a round, and then fired the round when the breech closed and the firing pin met the primer.

I had a feeling that would happen. The range officer wanted to see it again. Then, when he caught a disapproving stare from another customer about my full-auto bursts, he scolded me with a big grin on his face.

This gun sucks. I need to figure out how to get rid of it safely. Maybe I can cast the pieces in concrete and dump them in the lake. Or find a gun buy back and get an Old Navy gift card out of it, at least.

But it did fire on it's own...kinda...maybe. Well, not really.