Thursday, September 29, 2005

Proposition 75

...and why I will be voting "Yes!"

Prop 75

The idea behind the proposed legislation is quite simple: restrict public employees unions from contributing funds obtained from members dues to political purposes unless given permission by the employees.

The unions would have to obtain written permission from all contributing employees before they can use those monies collected for political purposes. Permission would be granted with a simple form, such as found here, with the text of 75. If some employees dissent, the percentage of money they contribute is not accesible for partisan political causes.

Personally, I think it's a great idea. Last presidential election cycle, I recieved half a dozen slick, full color brochures in the mail from my union...all supporting the candidate I was against. They pay people $12/hr to gladhand and pass out flyers supporting bond measures or candidates that I may not agree with (I never agree with my union, personally). They pay people to call union members at home and urge us to vote the way they want you to...then ostaracize you if you say anything other than the party line. Do I want my dues going to support causes that I am opposed to? Hell no. Either donate my money to my causes, or don't use my money at all.

This proposition gives me the right to say that.

All over California, TV's are blaring out anti-75 messages filled with distortions about how the state wants to silence the working class, or how Arnold wants to take our pensions away. That is not what this is about. Ironically, those dozens of primetime spots carried on dozens of affiliate stations are paid for with the money that this legislation would block them from using. No wonder they're panicking...

My otherwise sane coworkers turn into shrieking moonbats at the idea that I'd enact this legislation. They have bought completely into the union fiction. "The reason they want to get this into law is the hidden agenda. They want to corporatize us, turn us into WalMart with no healthcare at the minimum wage, but they won't tell you that! Arnold wants to get his hands on PERS (the public employee retirement fund) to pay off his debts!"

Whatever...

Look, the idea is this - DON'T USE PEOPLES MONEY FOR THINGS THEY DESPISE

Simple.

I don't even have the option of NOT joining the union, though I would really rather not have part of my paycheck taken away every month. I haven't realized a single benefit from being a union member (and NO, the weekend and 40 hour work week are NOT excuses to keep paying them) other than a discount on tickets to Seaworld. Whooptee doo...

LEAVE MY MONEY ALONE YOU GODDAM PARTISAN HACKS!

Feel better now...