Saturday, October 01, 2005

Gun Blogging (1 of many to come)

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property . . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them. - Thomas Paine


I don't care if you think it's your right. I say: Sorry, it's 1999. We have had enough as a nation. You are not allowed to own a gun, and if you do own a gun I think you should go to prison. - Rosie O'Donnell
I know where I stand on this issue. I am a gun owner, a shooter, a homeowner and law-abiding citizen and a gun rights advocate. The second amendment exists as an individuals right to keep and bear arms, whereas the qualifier militia is widely accepted to have meant all able bodied citizens in the time of the Constitutions framers. The 2A is an individual right, no less than that of free speech or freedom of religion or the right to a fair and speedy trial. These standards of freedom are not applied to the collective, but rather to the individuals of the republic.

One of the things I decided when resurrecting my blog last night is that I am going to spend a fair amount of time discussing this issue. I own several guns, shoot fairly often, and always pay attention to anti-gun legislation.

This should be fun...